Educational Equity: The Skills We Need NOW!
Educational equity implies that every student has access to the resources and educational rigor they need at the right moment in their education despite race, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, language, disability, family background, or family income.
Currently, many are coming to terms with the realization that our current and historical place of power, privilege, oppression, resistance, empowerment, and self-determination is raced, classed, aged and gendered. ?Our classrooms and schools are microcosms of this society writ large. As educators, we may not have the opportunity to make the changes at policy level that are necessary, but we sure as heck can make the changes that are necessary in our classrooms, once we know how!
This learning opportunity addresses the question: What would our class/school/world be like if we saw ourselves in each other? If this question calls to you, if you practice moral leadership, please join us!
- We will share, discuss and apply:
- Using Developmental Relationships to broaden our global lens
- Connecting student?s cultural assets and references to academic concepts and skills
- Employing curricula/activities that encourage student reflection on their own lives and society,
- Supporting student cultural competence by facilitating learning about their own and other cultures
- Creating classrooms to which folks want to belong!
If this is the path you?re on ? we are here for you! We are a force moving in the right direction!
Audience:?All Grades PK-12 Educators
Instructor: Sharon McCarthy, TMI-ENVISION SEL Specialist/Lead Consultant, ENVISION President